Pets....they can be family. They can be friends. They can be shoulders to cry on. They listen to your rants. They listen to your jokes. They don't judge and, in most cases, they don't talk back.
To me, my pets are my children, that is, until I have children of my own. I love my pets, which are dogs. I used to have fish, fancy guppies. I loved those too. I refuse to have cats. I've only walked into two houses that were home to cats and didn't smell like it, that's saying something.
(Yes, I felt the need to tell you what animals I have had and which I refuse to have.)
I love my dogs though. I do. I cry to my dogs. I talk to my dogs. I vent to my dogs. I pay for expensive procedures on my dogs.
Which brings us to tonight's topic: Nitro....
Nitro dislocated his knee a couple weeks ago. I took him to the emergency vet as it was a weekend. We got his knee fixed and then the vet told me that this problem normally leads to surgery. I left with Nitro, praying it wouldn't lead to surgery. Two days later, he dislocated it again. And again two days after that. So....I did what any good dog owner does, I scheduled the surgery. It dislocated many times while waiting for the surgery, at one point, four times in one day! I was so relieved when the day of the surgery finally came. I would no longer have to deal with the problem....
....well, one problem was resolved, but another presented itself.
His knee is fixed, yes, but now I have to deal with the recovery.
By the way, I thought about him ALL day during the surgery. I worry about my animals when I am away from them. Ask my mother in law who dog sat for me in July. She texted me pictures and told me what they were doing all the time. If I didn't hear from her, I worried. I worried bad things.
But back to the issue at hand, recovery post-surgery.
Let me refresh your memory: if you have read my Facebook or previous blogs, you will remember that Nitro is still very much a puppy, even though he is now a year old, which means he is extremely hyper-active.
With his surgery, came prescription pain meds. The thing is, animals are like children. They do not realize that even though they feel perfect (result of the meds), they still had a surgery or are sick and they need to maintain bed rest, minimal activity, etc. in order to heal fully. Nitro is no exception to this. We made it to Friday without incident and had our bandage removed. We worked our way into the weekend, though now I was trying to keep Nitro from licking his incision excessively and monitoring it for infection. Sunday morning, I take a look at his leg before we go out potty. Something doesn't look quite right....
He ripped his stitches out during the night and his leg is oozing all over his kennel. His incision is gaping open. Risk of infection has now risen horribly. He has a fever. His leg is swollen. Yes, I assessed all of this damage within about 10 seconds. I watch way too many animal rescue shows.
It's 7 o'clock in the morning. Again, on a Sunday. Another observation within the 10 seconds of my assessment. I immediately called the emergency number for the vet. I get Nitro in the car and we speed 20 minutes away to an on-call vet to get his leg cleaned and re-bandaged. We got him re-bandaged and I spent the rest of the day monitoring him at home. We wait the next 24 hours out til we can get back to our vet to have the leg further assessed.
This morning, 8 o'clock on the dot. I am already in the car with Nitro. I call my vet who is practically around the corner and let them know we are on our way. I don't get more than my name out and the receptionist already says, "By the sound of your voice, I take it you are already in the car, come on in. We're ready for you".
(at this I have a brief flash of shame where I feel like a bad pet-parent for having to bring my dog in YET AGAIN. I think we have visited there no fewer than 7 times....)
I rush him up there. The vet kind of gives Nitro this funny sigh and takes him. He also promises mommy (me) some puppy ritalin to keep him from doing this kind of thing during the rest of the recovery and to help me stay sane with keeping him confined sans guilt.
I picked him up this afternoon. They partially stitched up his leg, don't want to trap the infection, and put in a drain tube. We are LOADED up with antibiotics and got those special puppy ritalin to keep him calm for the next couple weeks. The drain tube is just completely gross, I have to tell you. It also makes me very aware of the different surfaces in my home. Blood can come out of tile with bleach fairly easily. Carpet....not so much. He's been pretty calm today because of the shock and the sedatives in his system. Tomorrow he'll be a whole new dog. Tomorrow we will begin the use of our three prescriptions.
The plan so far is if everything stays in place, we will get the drain tube removed next Monday and then after that we will schedule a date to remove his stitches. This whole ordeal puts us another week behind in recovery.
Now, it may sound like I am a little bitter, but I really love my dog. If I didn't, I wouldn't do any of this! Do you know how many animals are relinquished to shelters because the owners can't or don't want to pay for their medical costs? Thousands!
Now, my husband and I can barely afford this. We kind of are winging it right now, but everything seems to be falling into place as we go on faith. Prayer has been constant.
Also, just want to point out, this is the dog that my husband wanted. The dog my husband got. The dog my husband left me to care for when he left for deployment....
Guess who's picking up the dog crap when he comes home?
I love you, honey.
I am settling into bed now, sleeping pill is kicking in now, so I'll wrap it up.
I love my dogs. I care for my dogs. Just, please, remember if you are considering adopting or *sigh* buying a pet, consider your financial situation beyond just providing food and shelter (which are expensive enough as it is). Remember that they need medical attention just like you do. Get your animals fixed (spayed/neutered), keep up with their parasite preventatives, and, please, get your annual exam and shots on time.
That is all. I'll end here with a little note.
Dear, Nitro
Mommy loves you. I love your frito smell. I love the way you give me kisses only when I ask. I love how soft your fur is. I love how unique you are....but, darling puppy, despite loving you, you are starting to cost me. We have well over a grand invested in you now. I just have this to say: you had better make the rest of our time together well worth it.
My love, your mommy
You are such a good mommy!!! I'm so thankful that you realize that pets are an investment just like children are. We love then as if they are our blood! I love you and the puppies too! Keep up the good/hard work....its well worth it!
ReplyDelete