I used to think all those stereotypical military wife stories about how when the husband leaves, the whole world goes to pot were just that. Stories.
Now I believe there is some truth behind it.
Before my husband left, I did not know I could change a car battery.
Before my husband left, I did not know I could kill a spider.
Before my husband left, I did not know how to fix my dryer.
Before my husband left, I did not know I had such strength: physical, mental, and spiritual.
There is also something else. I knew I would miss him, but knowing and understanding are two different things. I've tried to explain this to new wives before: you know what you sign up for, but you gain the wisdom of understanding the depth of what "up to and including my life" really means once you are in it.
Before my husband left, I hated his constant diet of steak and potatoes, now no food in the world is more comforting.
Before my husband left, I craved small moments I could have by myself, now I would give anything to have just 1 hour in his presence.
Before my husband left, his 12 hour shifts seemed like the end of the world, looking back, they don't seem so bad after all.
Before my husband left, I did not think I needed any friends outside of our family; now that he is gone, more than anything, I do not want to lose the friendships I have gained with fellow military wives who have been through what I am going through now.
I am proud. I'm reminded of a fellow wife who sent in an email about how her life with her husband changed post-9/11. In the email she explained that her husband had been in over 10 years when the towers fell and has gone through many deployments since the war began. Now her husband is retiring, and being out of the military lifestyle is the oddest thing to her.
I keep wondering how in 20 years I am going to look back on this time my husband has been in the military. In a way, I hope I see it as odd too, because it isn't something everyone experiences. It's really an amazing family, the military is. Holidays are shared with fellow military families who are, like you, unable to travel home and you split different traditions whether its eating enchiladas or turkey, hot dogs or brats. If there is a need, it will be met, because we remember a time when we were in a hard place just like you.
I am wife to a man in the military and I wouldn't trade it for the world.
I agree 100% and glad to know that I'm not the only one out there that thinks like this! LOL I mean, I know I'm not, but still in my small little world, I feel like I am alone most of the time. :)
ReplyDelete